Thursday, March 3, 2011

Little Bat

Image by Arnty M


I’ve had a pretty nice experiment connected to bats. It was an evening and I was in a hall where I used to practice ‘Wushu’ (a type of martial art from China) everyone was already going home and it was pretty quiet. I was the only one sill in the room. I was looking at a leaf, fluttering pretty weirdly and I wondered how a leaf could actually do something like that since there was no wind.

So I walked closer to it and to my surprise, it was actually a little bat. I thought It must have fallen from somewhere and I had heard somewhere that when a bat touches the ground, they are rarely able to fly again. I took pity on the animal. So with a thumping heart (my dad doesn’t like me touching animals because they’re ‘full of diseases’), I get closer to it. I was surprised to find that a bat is actually really adorable. I picked it up and cupped it in my palm. I could feel its warmth and its soft fur on my palms. I could also feel it fluttering. I ran out of the building.

My family was there. I panicked and I started asking them what to do with the bat. But my dad simply said, “Throw it away,” and my mother said nothing about it. My sister was becoming as freaked out as I was. We finally made a decision to put it on the nearest plant and so, I opened my palm near a branch and let the little creature sort itself out and hang on the branch. I was relieved that it finally made it and flew into the air. I really like bats now.

Did you know?
Bats can detect an obstacle as thin as a strand of hair using ultrasonic sound. Bats do not harm humans. When bats get rabies, they DO NOT become aggressive. Vampire bat is the name for bats that drink blood. However, it must be noted that these bats DO NOT DRINK human blood. they feed on cows and some other big animals. Bats are shy animals and it's really difficult to take photos of these animals without capturing them snarling. This is why most people think they're aggressive even though they're not. What do you think about bats?

No comments:

Post a Comment